First and foremost, we're restaurant fans. We work in and with restaurants, which is why we believe so strongly in their ability to affect positive change and inspire others to do the same. We also know how hard this business can be, and we're always sensitive to the difficulties that running a restaurant poses.
In collaboration with sustainability experts, we analyze the annual carbon emissions of participating restaurants, then work closely with chefs, restaurateurs, and staffs to reduce or offset their yearly impact.
We hope you'll consider becoming a leader in the fight against climate change. For those interested in joining us, we offer two different levels of participation:
A survey-based examination that estimates a restaurant's climate impact based on key factors that are the most significant in driving restaurant emissions, including:
- Key ingredient inventory (animal protein, cooking oil, rice, and beverages)
- Energy use
- Waste & recycling
Based on the results of our analysis, we provide recommendations for mitigating actions, cost recovery, and leveraging the ZeroFoodprint brand.
ZFP PRIME ASSESSMENT
A deeper examination and consultation that comprehensively looks at a restaurant's emissions, identifies opportunities for emissions reductions, strategizes cost recovery, and optimizes brand value. The assessment includes:
- Complete ingredient inventory
- Detailed review of animal proteins
- Energy use
- Waste & recycling
ZEROFOODPRINT WORKS TO HELP RESTAURANTS:
- Build brand value. ZFP members comprise a group of the best and most forward-thinking restaurants in the world.
- Attract customers with similar values. We aim to connect like-minded customers to restaurants that are making a difference in sustainability and the fight against climate change.
- Differentiate. 61 percent of business leaders believe that sustainability leads to market differentiation and improved financial performance.
- Improve employee satisfaction. Employees prefer to work for companies that share their values and invest in more than profits.
- Create energy savings. A focused review of what drives emissions can lead to solutions that reduce energy use, utility bills, and emissions.
ZeroFoodprint is a nonprofit organization, but there are still expenses associated with assessment fees, as well as the annual price of carbon credits. The cost is determined on a per-cover basis and varies depending on a restaurant's footprint. Typically, restaurants can expect to pay between $0.10 and $0.35 per cover. The lower the footprint, the lower the costs. We're happy to speak with anyone who wants to participate, however, and hope you'll reach out to us even if the expense seems beyond reach.
We understand the challenges of running a restaurant, and so we work with our restaurants partners to find the right mechanism to cover the cost of being a ZeroFoodprint restaurant. Some successful approaches include:
- A menu item surcharge, perhaps on high emissions items like beef and lamb;
- A per cover charge;
- A round-up on each check; or
- A one-night fundraising event.
ZeroFoodprint is committed to sustained action to combat climate change. We work with our restaurants to maintain their status as a ZeroFoodprint restaurant from year to year, taking into consideration improvements in efficiency and reductions in carbon emissions.
STEPS TO BECOMING A ZEROFOODPRINT RESTAURANT:
- Register your interest. Contact ZeroFoodprint below to get started.
- Data Collection. Complete a Foodprint Assessment survey that collects information from both front and back of house.
- Review the data. We'll talk through the information you've collected and help you understand why it matters.
- Understand the assessment. Our carbon specialists will create a Foodprint report summarizing your climate impact. We'll help explain which factors of your operation are driving emissions and think about where you might make changes.
- Mitigate your emissions. In most cases, there are simple and beneficial changes to energy efficiency, menu design, and vendor selection that can lower your emissions and often save you money.
- Offset your footprint. Zero out your unavoidable emissions with an investment in food-based carbon projects.
Become a ZeroFoodprint Restaurant Today!